Every Day is a Good day.

This was my third trip to Antaiji. We had a meeting with Muho Sensei the day before sesshin, which is 10 hours of zazen, divided into 45 minute seated meditation and 15 minute walking meditation periods, with 2 blocks of 5 hours. In the meeting with Muho Sensei, a participant asked the question, “What do you think happiness is?” Muho sensei said, “Happiness is like the 65% of water in the cup. Do you think you already have 65% water or you want the other 35% water to full of your cup?” It depends on the way you think. When you feel happy there is happiness. 

I remember last year in the July retreat, in the same meeting before sesshin, Muho Sensei said, “Zazen is your Mysore practice”. Yes, I think Ashtanga practice and zen practice are really similar, and both practices are difficult for everybody, even if you are not a beginner.

At last year’s retreat, I woke up at 1:40 am every morning, and did full primary practice before 4:00 am zazen. But on this trip, I slept a little more, and woke up at 2:00 am to do half primary every morning. I did not practice yoga on the day of sesshin off because it was moon day, and I did intermediate series practice on the last day because there was no zazen and yoga class in the morning.

On this trip we had 3 yoga classes: two Ashtanga beginner led classes in the morning at 4:00 am before zazen, and one stretch class at 7:00 pm after zazen. I am really happy to share yoga with more people, and happy to see that more and more people are interested in ashtanga practice.

Published by Xuan Yoga

Ashtanga Yoga Practitioner Online Yoga Class

Leave a Reply